Change of style

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

Dano

Change of style

Post by Dano »

I entered a recipe into the recipe calculator, but the color was too dark for the style that I had entered, which was pale lager, so to remedy this , I changed the style to American dark lager. After having done this, I found that all of my results, from IBU's, to alcohol content, etc. had changed. How can this be? The only thing I changed was the style, all of the ingredients however were exactly the same. Again I tried a different style and again the numbers changed. So how am I supposed to know what exactly will be the results of a batch I make using the calculator, if all I change is the name of the style?
Dano

Anybody help?

Post by Dano »

Anybody have a clue? If I am just an idiot then please tell me.
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

More info...

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

Specifically what numbers changed? Did your projected O.G. change? Did your IBU's change?... or ,did your 'agreement' percentage change?

Nate
Dano

Everything

Post by Dano »

Everything changed, agreement percentages as well as everything else. All I did was change it from one style to another, but kept the ingredients the exact same, therefore, the result should have stayed the same. OG changed IBU changed, and like I said before, not only did agreement percentages change, everything else did as well. In fact, the alcohol content changed from something like 4.2 to 4.8.