Promash water ph calculation

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

Promash water ph calculation

Post by Mirabeau »

Can't understand why water ph is calculated only based on bicarbonate amount so that it can only result to a ph > 7.

How can we figure a more acid water ??????
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Talk to Promash

Post by Raydownunder »

I suggest you email Promash and they will help you.

Cheers
Ray
Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

no promash user here ?

Post by Mirabeau »

is there no promash user here ?
or am i alone to face this question ?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Promash

Post by Freon12 »

Honesty, I have used promash for everything except Ph. I look at that over the weekend.

Steve
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Promasher Here

Post by BillyBock »

Mirabeau: I'm a Promash user. Predicting water pH is pretty tricky to begin with. I use the value it gives as a guide, but it seldom ever matches my water. I use a pH meter, which you can get for about $30, to be certain.

Anyway, as I try and remember basic chemistry, pure water has a pH of 7 and the other salts have miniscule acidifying effects on water--so much that for all practical purposes the result is zero. However, calcium carbonate and bicarbonates do have an alkaline buffering effect. Which seems to me why you're seeing the results you are.

To acidify the water requires an external input. Either you add an acid or you must boil the water so any availabel calcium binds with the carbonate to create chalk. After the chalk settles to the bottom decant the water off the sediment and you'll have a lower pH.

I use a program called Brewater 3.0 to figure out the amount of acid to add to the water to acidify to a certain pH.

Hope this helps.
v/r
Bill