Goin' Gold

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

jcassady
Light Lager
Light Lager

Goin' Gold

Post by jcassady »

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I've decided to get a Gold membership. I've spent the last few weeks reading all of the old posts and found a wealth of info! I'm back 540 days so far.

Anyway I have one problem I can't get past yet. I'm an extract brewer at the moment and I've currently brewed up four batches of beer all of which have turned out tasting quite well, but all of them have finished at around FG = 1.020 with OG's between 1.040 to 1.066, but they all end at 1.020! Last batch I shook the crap out of before pitching the yeast but while racking to the secondary this weekend I took a reading and low and behold it was 1.020. The only other thing I have yet to try is making a starter for the yeast, and from what I have read it is probably the single most important thing to do. I do not currently have a flask to start the yeast in, is there another option for this? Also, any other reasons I may not be getting a lower FG? All the recipies I have tried stated they should get down to 1.010 - 1.016.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast starter suggestion

Post by BarleyMan »

I can't help you much with why your FG's are all stopping at 1.020 other than to ask if you are correcting for temperature.

As for yeast starters, you can sterilize regular 12 oz. bottles, fill them 1/2 way with sterile wort, add your yeast, and put an airlock on them like you do a fermenter. If you time it right (prepare this 1-3 days in advance of brewing, depending on the age of the yeast) you'll be pitching a LOT of yeast while it's at high Krausen. Be careful with high gravity beers, as they can start very quickly and very messily. Good luck.

You can also use this to "culture up" yeast from one package for multiple brews, or to culture up yeast from a bottle sediment if you find a bottle-conditioned beer you really like.
Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast cake

Post by Sisu »

I've had very good luck with using the yeast cake from the bottom of my primary. I siphon the "old" beer into the secondary, then pour the "new" wort directly onto the left over yeast cake. Fermentation starts very quickly and I've had no problems with infection. Just remember that you can't pour hot wort onto your yeast or you'll cook it....

Tim
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Need more info ... What are you cleaning with ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

JCass ...

Are you by any chance cleaning with Bleach, if you are this could lead to left behind cleansers that are undesireable. Before buying an Erlenmeyer flask I made my starters in a "CLEAN" 1.5 liter wine bottle, you can buy single drill bungs that will accept an air lock and make your starter. ALSO are you using liquid yeast ? If not YOU SHOULD or at least use a good dry like "SAF-ALE" or "SAF-LAGER" ... don't use cheap yest, it is one of the most important parts of your beer (along with water, malt, hops etc ... LOL )... write back with more specifics OK?

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mason Jar

Post by fitz »

If you take a quart mason jar, and drill a hole in the lid large enought to accep an O ring for the airlock, this works quite well. Also, the malt you are using, may have a higher percentage of non fermentables. Try to get some amylase enzyme, and add it at yeast pitching time, or just before it. This may help your FG. Other than that, if your beer tastes good, don't get too hung up on numbers!
jcassady
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast

Post by jcassady »

As far as yeasts I've tried several, this last one was Danstar Nottigham ,I've also used a White Labs Abbey Ale, and one with safale. I've ordered all of my malts from morebeer.com, no brew shop for 80 miles and I don't have a lot of free time to drive to get the stuff.

For water I use bottled Spring Water, just to be safe.

For sanitizer I use Star San.

If you need anything else just let me know