NO CARBONATION!!!!

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

NO CARBONATION!!!!

Post by dartedplus »

I have been brewing for a couple of years and this has never happened to me. One of my batches, after a month in the bottle has no fizz... I did nothing different than I have for years, but I have have flat beer. Is there anything I can do to salvage this batch or is it just $25 down the drain...literally. any help is greatly appreciated. Ed
TTTony
Light Lager
Light Lager

Did you do anything different?

Post by TTTony »

How long was it fermenting? Was it subject to a big temperature change maybe?

If you can't do anything with it, you could always artificially carbonate!
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

flat beer salvage

Post by xbrewer »

If you had a healthy fermentation, added the proper amount of priming sugar after fermentation, and stored the bottled beer at the proper temperature then it should be carbonated. Sometimes things just don't turn out as they should. Since the beer has been bottled rather than kegged, forced carbonation probably wouldn't be a practical remedy. You might try uncapping each bottle and adding a small amount of corn sugar and recapping. If that doesn't work, a good undercorbonated homebrew is often better than the mass produced stuff.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

nothing different

Post by dartedplus »

it fermented for about 3 1/2 weeks, but i didnt do anything different. Its in bottles, so how can I artificially carbonate?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

thats the same idea i had

Post by dartedplus »

I thought that i could uncap and add some corn suger, I just wanted to see what anyone had to say about my dilemma. There weren't any temp swings, at least not more than maybe 2 or 3 degrees. I guess it will just cost me a couple of more caps, and hopefully that will work. Would the fact that it is a lager the was brewed at room temp make a difference?? I dont think it would. It tastes pretty good, just flat. It's a Harp clone, and I think I got pretty close, I know I nailed the color. Have a good one and enjoy a homebrew!!! thanks, ed
TTTony
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lager yeast

Post by TTTony »

I've read that certain strains of lager yeast will not fair well at room temperature. Maybe you found one.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thats Possible

Post by dartedplus »

Thats entirely possible, but it fermented completely. Maybe the yeast just died off completely after that. who knows. I'm gonna try to add some corn sugar and if that doesnt work, maybe I'll add a little bit of starter with some sugar in it. I just dont want to give up on the beer too easily. Thanks, Ed
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast

Post by maltvault »

Sounds like maybe the bottles/secondary got warm enough to kill the yeast. If you used priming sugar adding more will not help, you need suspended yeast. Use dry yeast for this; done this only ONCE before, and place 3-4 grainuals in each bottle and recap. The yeast should show activation within two days. In two days shake and crack one open, it should make a faint carbonation 'pisszzztt'.

Good luck,
Malt Vault