Carbonation trouble...?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

Carbonation trouble...?

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

This is my first brew so I'm new to the whole carbonation process but I read up and thought I had it.

So I left the 5g batch in primary for 7 days and then in secondary for 14 days. I then boiled up 2 cups of water and added 3/4 cup of corn sugar to it and put it in my bottling bucket, then siphoned my beer on top of it.

It's been 12 days now and the beer is still real flat, very little bubbles with no head. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong or perhaps it will be ready after 21 days?

If after 3 weeks it's still flat is it possible to add a tiny bit of sugar to each bottle or is that a no no?

Recipe:
1lb Canadian 6-row Pale
4lbs Dry malt extract
1lb Table sugar (had no dextrose)
.5oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1tbs Irish Moss 15 min
.5oz Northern Brewer 5 min
2pks Coopers ale yeast

OG = 1.072
FG = 1.026

Thanks in advance for the help, if you need any more info just let me know.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Patience Patience Patience.

Bottle carbonation can take up to 2 months of some beers. 12 days is way to early to be trying your beer (I know you're anxious). Even if it does carbonate that fast...it's best to leave it for at least 3 weeks because the taste will be much better. Try your bottles after 3 weeks, and if it's not good, wait a few more weeks.

You did the right thing for bottling, so I don't forsee a problem. Keep in mind that higher gravity beers do take longer to carbonate. You might end up waiting six weeks to get a really good carb on them.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

carbonation

Post by slothrob »

What he said. I've had beers carbonate very quickly, but 3 weeks is pretty typical. The beer will almost always be better a couple weeks later than that.

Also, you have already added plenty of sugar. Adding more will just ultimately lead to overcarbonated beer.

Give it some time, keep it warm until it's carbonated, then give it a few days in the fridge to get all the CO2 into solution.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

Alright thanks you two, i would be lost with out you guys lol. You guys have helped me out a lot through this first batch.