no fermentation

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

If it's not already spoiled ...

Post by billvelek »

Before doing ANYTHING else, check your gravity as suggested, because it might have somehow fermented -- although I've never had a brew that didn't leave at least signs of krauesen on the sides of the fermenter. But I'm sure it is probably possible.

Now, assuming that the gravity hasn't changed so that you KNOW that your yeast isn't working, let me add to my earlier comment. Taste your wort and if there are no off tastes at all -- including no sign of sanitizer -- then you are probably good to go with just another pitching of yeast. Frankly, if you pitch dried yeast and have two packs, I'd pitch them both because you _really_ need to get that fermentation going because, even if you don't taste the effects of bacteria yet, you can still bet that there is now much more bacteria than when you first put the wort into the fermenter. Unless you use medical grade oxygen to aerate, etc., you WILL have SOME bacterial contamination -- it is unavoidable because, if nothing else, you'll have airborne bacteria from aerating. So, even if you don't taste the effects of bacteria yet, your _safest_ bet is mentioned in the next paragraph.

If you DO detect some sourness, but not so bad that you still think you can tolerate it sort of like a lambic, then you will need to do more than just pitch yeast. You're not going to like this suggestion, but I think it will be vital. You need to bring the wort back up to a boil for a few minutes to kill the bacteria that has already started to sour your wort, and then crash chill it again, re-aerate (because the boil will drive out the oxygen), and then pitch new yeast. You need to do this because if it has already begun to sour your wort, it's only going to get worse before the yeast can take over ... if ever.

Good luck, and I hope I'm not too late with this additional advice. If you've already pitched more yeast, then you obviously can't reboil without killing it.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
desldan

Post by desldan »

Good news! Today I woke up to a bubbling air lock and a very nice smelling garage. By my guessumation my wort was to cold to start fermentation, I raised the wort temp by placing a heating pad with the temp set on low under the primary and raising the wort temp to 75deg. I will keep an eyeonit. This may be the weirdest tasting beer yet.
To all that helped and read my post
CHEERS!!
Thanks
Desldan
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

You ought to lower your temp

Post by billvelek »

75F is what I consider to be the very maximum temperature that I would expect to get a drinkable beer from, and I think even that is a 'gamble' because I'm pretty sure that the yeast will be generating a high amount of esters and fusel alcohols at that temp. Also, the fermentation process itself will generate some heat, so it could quite possibly rise up above that temperature to make it even worse. The ideal temp for ales is supposed to be around 68F. I usually can't keep it at that temp, so I end up fermenting at about 70-72F, which produces good beer. I'd definitely drop that temp down to about 70, if possible.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it is fermenting. Have you tasted it yet ... because you could still have a spoiled beer. MOST definitely taste it before you go to the trouble of sanitizing bottles, etc.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
mikfir

Re: no fermentation

Post by mikfir »

desldan wrote::(
I made a dark porter sun 1/25, I used wyeast 1056 liquid ale yeast, after 48 hr still no frementation. Can I repitch or is my wort ruined
Thanks
desldan
Be aware that Wyeast shipped a batch of dead yeast recently. My local home brew shop has taken back and exchaged dozens of smack packs.
Mike
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: no fermentation...

Post by wottaguy »

say mikfir...

would you happen to know what Wyeast strains were involved that were shipped dead?? or even the lot numbers and or use before dates? Just wondering if anyone would know of this information...has wyeast published this information??

Thanks for the heads up..

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
desldan

Post by desldan »

This Sunday 2/1 I racked to secondary. Tasted the wort and it tasted like beer!!!! Will try to bottle sunday
Thanks
and Cheers A'll
Desldan