Fermentation Issues

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

pford

Fermentation Issues

Post by pford »

I recently brewed a wheat beer and used 32 oz. of pure maple syrup in the 60 minute boil. The primary fermentation lasted 1 week, then I racked the beer off to the secondary fermenter and it has continued to have a steady pace of small-champagne size bubbles rising to the top of the carboy and it is now almost 2 weeks in the secondary. Anything I should be concerned with, and /or how long should I expect this to last before suspecting contamination. I have been brewing for 15+ years and I am pretty meticulous with cleaning and sterilization.

Thanks.
PF
chils
Light Lager
Light Lager

fermentation woes

Post by chils »

Could just be dissolved c02 from fermentation.I've bottled completely fermented beer that was slightly carbonated straight from the fermenter.You can't do anything if it is infected now so I would wait until bottling/kegging day(when the gravity stabilized) and taste it.If it don't taste crappy you know what to do.If it were infected causing fermentation to contine too long then your final gravity reading will be way too low.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Take a hydrometer reading

Post by brewmeisterintng »

That's the sure way to know that it's done fermenting. After you measure the gravity, taste the stuff. Yah, it's flat but it will tell you generally of something is not right. I have never used maple syrup in a beer but the books say that it is 65% fermentable comprised mostly of sucrose with some invert sugar.