dARK STOUT TURNED RED?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

dbethge

dARK STOUT TURNED RED?

Post by dbethge »

I recently brewed a dark beer (Fireside Ale - williams brewing kit) and after letting it sit in bottle for a few weeks at room temp, the beer turned red ! its not longer the 12lb of malt extract dark beer i bottled. Any ideas? Too long at room temp?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Red vs Black

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Did you not notice the red in the racking cane? Normally, beer will appear darker in the fermenter as there is a depth to it. I just went to the web site
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_ ... E_P698.cfm
There is no indication that this is a stout or that it is even dark. I have only brewed one of their kits (Summer Ale). The down side is that the don't list their recipes and the packages are coded.
Malt flavors change with age however I have never had a beer change color. They say on the site not to let this one sit in the bottle too long.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Red vs Black

Post by billvelek »

brewmeisterintng wrote:snip ... http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_ ... E_P698.cfm ... snip
YIKES!!! :mrgreen: Holy Moly, ... $45.90 for a 5 gallon kit, and then you apparently need to add at least $6.50 more for shipping; I had no idea that extract kits have gone up that much. I guess the last kit I did was a dozen years ago, and I think they were something like twelve or thirteen bucks at my LHBS. I can't think of many things that have quadrupled in 12 years or so. I hope it makes one hell of a good beer.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Free

Post by brewmeisterintng »

My brother-in-law decided that he wanted to try his hand at brewing and after he ordered the kit, found out that he wasn't fond of ales. Two years later the kit is still sitting in his refrig. While I was visiting he gave it to me. I made a yeast started and wouldn't you know it, after two years the yeast was dead. So I used US-05 dry yeast. Since it was a summer ale I decided to dry hop it with a 1/2oz of Cascade. The beer came out awsome but not repeatable unless I bought the kit, but as Bill said, the price is too high. So, this one will go down in my beer book as a nice summer extract ale with a few modifications but never bought/ brewed again.
P.S. I didn't mean to steal the post.