LONG time in secondary... toss it?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

McGuireV10
Light Lager
Light Lager

LONG time in secondary... toss it?

Post by McGuireV10 »

My wife bought me a pretty decent homebrew setup for my birthday earlier this year, and I eagerly dove into brewing up a batch. I'd used one of those little Mr. Beer things a couple times and really wanted more -- and eventually I want to keg it.

Unfortunately, just a few days after I transferred everything to the secondary carboy, I blew out all the ligaments in one knee. The resulting instability meant I couldn't lift the carboy, and then came surgery and the long period of recovery. The result is that my beer has been sitting in this secondary carboy for something like five months. I'm using an iodophor airlock, it has been reasonably well protected from light (a dark pantry, it only gets hit if somebody opens the door to grab something), and the temperature will have been just about exactly 72 or 73 the entire time (this is an ale).

Should I throw it out, or bottle it? Is there any negative impact to sitting in the secondary for so long? There isn't anything growing on the top. No crud, scum, film, or anything of that nature, so I assume I must have sanitized everything really well.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: LONG time in secondary... toss it?

Post by wottaguy »

Hi!

By your description, it sounds like the beer is ok. I would:

1) if you're planning on bottling it then prepare and sanitize your bottles..

2) check the final gravity and make note of it for future reference...

3) just before bottling, take a small amount and taste it. If no off flavors, then prime and bottle it, wait 2 or 3 weeks then chill and try one out.

I usually taste the sample that I pull out from the hydrometer tube after I check the Final Gravity.

I have had some beers sit in my secondary for up to 3 months without any ill effects. With the proper care the beer almost always turns out fine.

Hope your knee feels better soon.

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
McGuireV10
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by McGuireV10 »

Great news, thanks!
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

yw!

Where in FL are you? I'm from just south of Daytona.
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
McGuireV10
Light Lager