Had to wait to pitch yeast

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

pirate357

Post by pirate357 »

Hey everyone. I made my batch about 4 hours ago, but I pulled my wort chiller way to early. I haven't been able to pitch my yeast because the temp is still about 90-100. I put the wort in my bucket and put the lid and airlock on as soon I pulled the chiller, so I don't know what the risk of contamination is going to be. It looks like its going to be about 4 and a half to 5 hours before I can finally pitch my yeast. Is this delay going to hurt my beer? Thanks.
pirate357

Post by pirate357 »

Well, after finally cooling down in my fridge, the wort was in the bucket for about 6 hours with the lid on it. Should I be worried? My sanitation was really thorough, so I don't know what the risks could be. Thanks.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

pitch plenty of yeast I think you should be ok if it was sealed.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

You said you put a air lock on the carboy. What was in the airlock? Distilled water or cheap Vodka. The reason I ask is that a hot liquid cooling down will create a vacuum in the cantainer it is in. With the airlock on the carboy it might just drink the contents of the airlock. Undoing all of your sanitation efforts.
"B"