Fermenting stops after only a few days

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

I havent tried it before. I saw something on the History channel or Discovery and they said that Brains was the oldest Welsh brewery. I saw the recipe in my Clone beer recipe book and decided to give it a run.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brains Ale

Post by Legman »

Hey could you post that recipe? I'd be interested in taking a look at that.
Thanks.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

Brains Traditinal Welsh Ale
mini mash recipe
Mash for 90 @150deg
3#Brit 2row Pale malt
1/2#55L Brit Crystal Malt

sparge grains w/150deg water
add & boil for 45mins
2.25# light DME
4oz cane sugar
2oz glucose syrup (was told this is also Karo syrup) but I subbed corn sugar
1.5oz Fuggles @ 5AA or 7.5HBU

add & boil for 13mins
.5oz E. Kent Goldings
1 tsp Irish Moss

add & boil 2mins
.5oz Fuggles

Pitch Yeast at 70deg
Wyeast 1028 London Ale or Wyeast 1098 Brit Ale

OG 1.041-1.043
IBU 33
FG 1.008-1.010
4.2%ABV
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Hey thanks man. Let me know how it turns out.
Looks like a premium bitter. I like that style.
I made up a recipe similar to that a little while back that turned out pretty good.
Maybe I'll give that a go next time around.
I just got done building a kegerator, so maybe that'll be one of the first brews I put in there!
Cheers.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

Racked the Brains Welsh Ale today. FG was little lower than the recipe said but ok by me (my OG was a tad higher then the recipe too).

I brewed a Old Speckled Hen and put it right on top of the yeas cake from the Brains. I had bubbles within 90mins, might have been quicker Im not sure I went to dinner.
I renamed the “brains” and am calling it Wale Brains. It tasted pretty !@#$ good for a flat warm beer when I was bottling it. Now the agony of waiting to actually drink a cold one.

The monster IPA I brewed on Thursday is going steady, really nice thick Krausen. Its got a great color and is creamy and caramel colored. This is so far the best Krausen I have had. Most times it dies down in a couple of days. This one has been rock steady since Friday night/Sat morning.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

well the bubbling on the Old Speckled Hen I pitched on the active yeast cake went for about for about 48 hours rock steady, had some pretty high ferm temps so closed up the house & kicked up the AC. The bubbling has died and my gravity reads .010 right now. that is right where it should be for FG. going to let it go a few days and clear up.

I have to say I am impressed with the reuse of yeast. and the Wale Brains tastes really F'in good for a beer not yet ready. Cracked a non chilled 1 today, great taste, clear as a bell, but flat, finshes very clean. cant wait to really drink it.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

I'll have to try reusing the yeast. I've never done that yet. Good to hear that worked well for ya.

You sound like me......always crackin' a beer before it's ready. I'm so impatient about that. :lol:
But I will have to say, that in most cases all of my beers tasted better after they've been in the bottle 6-8 weeks. The flavors really blend after that.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

well I know it aint ready yet, just a little check up to see how the ladies are.

but I wanna know how they are doing.

yeah the reuse of the yeast cake is way cool. but now I have 2 batches bout ready to bottle.
yelram4life

quickie

Post by yelram4life »

I had a batch years ago that I pitched Muntons Ale yeast into...no starter or anything...we ment out disk golfing, then drinking and dinner and when we got home it was done. No more than 8 hours later...I left it in the carboy for a week because I thought surely it was stuck but when I finally transferred it, the gravity reading confirmed it...it had fermented and settled (mostly) in under a day...