Fermentation Temp

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fermentation Temp

Post by brewmeisterintng »

The last few batches that I have made have had a steady fermentation but not rolling boil type fermentation. Is this because the ambient temperature in Tennessee in spring is lower therefore I am at the low end of the scale for the yeast? I haven't changed anything else... different strains of yeast but the same results. Comments?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

You should be ok. I've had several low temperature fermentation that didn't produce a big rolling, violent fermentation. It just took a little long to fully complete, but the beer came out just fine.
Lately I've been having a problem with slightly high fermentation temps, but so far it hasn't hurt anything either. It just ferments a whole lot faster.

What temp are you pitching your yeast at?

Have you tried covering the fermenter with a blanket or something? That will help hold the heat in. I've used some of those cheap foam camping mats before. They work really good and only cost $5 dollars at Wal-mart.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I pitched a little early

Post by brewmeisterintng »

The temp was around 75 when I pitched US-05 dry. Aeriated and let it go. The house has been on the cool side as we don't run the heat very much. I usually primary for a week and secondary for two but I let the last batch go 10 days in the primary as I wanted to ensure that it was done. Then I secondaryed for 11 days. I have to be honest, I have stopped taking a final gravity since I stated kegging.
I just thought that the yeast in my last batch (english ale) was lazy... didn't think about the temp unitl this batch started doing the same thing.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Yeah I'd maybe try covering the fermenter with something. That should help hold some of the heat in.
I use mostly English yeasts and have had varying fermentations. Most of them have not been very aggressive fermentations, but all have worked out fine.
The temperature plays some role in it, but mine still vary.

Most of my fermentations only get a few inches of krausen before they fall. But one time I was using Burton Ale yeast (and I've used it before with no problems) in a ESB and the thang when crazy! It foamed up so much it was coming out of the airlock and I had to put a blow off tube on it. It spewed foam for about 3 days before it settled down. The beer came out just fine though.

I have a spare room I brew in and the temperature is usually 64-68 degrees. I used to pitch the yeast at kind of low temps, but all that seem to happen was a slow start. The last 4-5 batches I've pitch the yeast around 75 degrees and it takes off pretty quick. And even in a cool room, it continues to stay fermenting between 72-74 degrees. (Which is a little higher than I really want, but so far no ill effects have happened.)

What part of Tenn. are you in?