Bitterness woes

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

mich

Bitterness woes

Post by mich »

My beers always seem to turn out too bitter, but my hop rates are never high. I do notice however that when I try the beer after it has sat for 6 months or more, my chill haze is greatly reduced and the bitterness has drastically changed as well. I know that beers mellow after time but I suspect that somehow some of my bitterness is related to the suspended proteins that cause chill haze. Is this true?
Paul Mc

Bitterness

Post by Paul Mc »

Using certain grains or extracts can cause chill haze but personally I have never experienced bitterness from protien, it could be bad mash efficiency if you are mashing (you would notice with a specific gravity reading) or maybe hops are not being removed before primary ferment.
mich

Bitter hop resins?

Post by mich »

So it could be excessively bitter hop resins that aren
bareego

mashing problem ?

Post by bareego »

Hello there.... do you mash yourself (I guess you do ?) It might be good to have a look how you mash and sparge, if you get the temp too high maybe you flush out some tannins from the grains ?
I have heard that can give you a bitterness that will subside after some months.
Cheers James
mich

Sometimes, not always

Post by mich »

I have the same problem whether I mash or not. I