Oops. Hate when that happens...

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

fully_krausened
Light Lager
Light Lager

Oops. Hate when that happens...

Post by fully_krausened »

I have done it before and I did it again. Forgot to take a sample for gravity before pitching. :roll:
I remembered about 5 minutes after pitching so I took a sample.

Bad idea?

Usually I just let it go but since it was so soon after I went ahead. I am not too worried but it would be nice to have some opinions... :?

Thanks.
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Supposed to be here

Post by cozrulz »

I just made my first brew and forgot to take the sample, so take this for what's worth. Would it matter right after pitching? I'm thinking only if you didn't have sterilized equipment. Otherwise I'm not sure how much the yeast would affect your gravity reading.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I think it's okay as long as you used sanitized equipment

Post by billvelek »

As long as you used sanitized equipment (wine thief or whatever) to draw your sample, I can't see how the yeast would make a detectable difference. They shouldn't have produced any measurable CO2 yet, in solution or to disturb your hydrometer, and the amount of yeast relative to your wort should be negligible. If you happened to use a large starter, then I suppose that might make a difference, but then again, perhaps that should be factored into your O.G. But maybe I'm wrong; we'll see what some of the others have to say. At the very least, you will have a very close reading to what it would have been before pitching, and it's probably better than not taking a reading at all.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768