Fermentation stuck??

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

snoop

Fermentation stuck??

Post by snoop »

I purchased a wheat ale kit that recomends final gravity be below 1.014. Currently it is stuck at 1.020. I have tried agitating it with the lid and air lock in place but a day later the reading had not changed. It has been in the primary for over a week now and I'm getting concerned. Any suggestions?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottle it.

Post by Freon12 »

If the gravity has not changed for three days, then bottle it up. Some beers have that as a final gravity. What was the starting Gravity? It could be you were using dry yeast or some unfermentable sugars are left or the starting gravity was higher than target? Beers will vary like that even in brewery conditions. Your still in good shape in one week.
snoop

Starting Gravity

Post by snoop »

It started at 1.048 which was in the recomended starting gravity. Is it possible to rack it into a secondary and re-pitch the yeast or would you still advise to just bottle it? If re-pitching is an option I don't know if I will be able to obtain the same dry yeast as what was in the kit. Can I ask for something similar at my local brew shop? Thanks..
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It might be your yeast

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I agree with Freon12, I USED to ues dry yeast, too many inconsistancies, that was the old days, no more, make at least a one pint yeast starter, a liter yeast starter will give you better results, don't skimp on the yeast it is as important as the other ingredients. Buy good Liquid yeast, www.grapeandgranary.com has Wyeast for $3.99 you won't find it cheaper.

Cheers
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

#1 sbt

Post by Freon12 »

That advise is the #1 tip of all time. Use the best yeast you can. Dry yeast has gotten better over the years but I will never use it again. White labs or wyeast will be the greatest single improvement you will ever make!