LOW Final gravity

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

TheUKDave

LOW Final gravity

Post by TheUKDave »

Hiya,

It seems that most peoples' FG questions are to do with a FG being too high, but I typically have the opposite problem and cannot work out why.

This time I was following a recipe for a hobgoblin ale, SG was 1.058 and the recipe says to rack to the secondary after a week and wait until th FG is reached at 1.016. Well it's still in the primary, it's only been fermenting for 3 days and it's already down to 1.011 and I have no doubt it'll go a little further before actually finishing.

As I said, this is a typical problem for me, by no means a first time occurence. It's good because the yeast gets in there and does it's business before any nasties can, and you get nice strong beers. But of course even though the flavours are there they are lacking the all important body. Is my yeast too good? Is the fermentation temp too high? How can I get some unfermentable sugars in there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Dave,

Are these all grain beers, and if so, what is your mash temp? What yeast strain are you using?

Todd
TheUKDave

Post by TheUKDave »

Yep, all grain. Single temp mash at 65 C (150 F).

I was thinking perhaps my mash temp is too high/low meaning that the complex (unfermentable) sugars are being broken down into simpler (fermentable) sugars.

But I only follow the recipe and I'm really am quite anal when it comes to getting mash temp spot on. I steep the grain at strike heat of 72 C (160 F), it comes down to about 65 C and then I adust with hot/cold water as necessary and let it mash for 60-90 minutes.
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Dave,

I would raise the mash temperature a little, to 153-154F. Also, double check your thermometer. You probably don't have access to a calibrated thermometer, but check the mash temp with another one to make sure your temperatures are correct.

I would also check for conversion throughout the mash with the iodine test. 90 minutes is a long time, you should have complete conversion in 25-30 minutes.

Todd
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

mash temp.

Post by Freon12 »

Dave,

I agree, raise the mash up. I mash at 158f for Fest beer which really brings on the malt.

Check the recipe for carapils, if not, put some in.

Steve

PS. Turkey day here in the US, I'll be taking a nap later and get back to you over the weekend if needed.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Hobgoblin is pretty sweet, I'd assume it's mashed pretty high. If your thermometer is off, even worse. Find another thermometer to check it at mash temp, or at least check it's accuracy in boiling water (100
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP