Stopped Fermenting before ready

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Aussienovice

Stopped Fermenting before ready

Post by Aussienovice »

Can anyone help?
I started my first brew (an English Yorkshire Bitter Style) around 5 days ago - fermentation started (albeit slowly) but stopped altogether as far as I can tell on day 3. I suspect the cause for the fermentation stopping was that I had the fermenter in too cold a place (fermenter was at around 17C).
I have now moved the brew to a better location (it is now at around 21C) and I have swirled the wort around without opening the fermenter (suggested on one website to restart fermentation) but after 8hrs still no fermentation.
Any ideas as to what I should do to get fermentation going again before I have to throw away and start again?
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

More Yeast

Post by KBrau »

You could always try pitching more yeast. Best of luck.

Rich
Aussienovice

Post by Aussienovice »

Thanks KBrau
Will that have any effect on the taste?
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yeast

Post by KBrau »

Adding additional yeast shouldn't affect the taste of the beer. Besides the alternative is that you beer may never ferment. The only problem that you may have is that when fermentation doesn't start for an extended period of time, your wort is very susceptible to bacterial contamination. I would give it a shot and see what happens.