Stuck Ferm, what next ?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

firstbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Stuck Ferm, what next ?

Post by firstbrew »

Ok, well like my formentioned post about the temp drop and
the fermentation coming to a halt, I took the advice of "Rouseing the yeast".
I shook the fermentor after raising the temp and noted activity after a few hours.
So the next day I think i screwed it up, I racked it to my secondary and took a reading. The bummer was
that I was still 5 points away from completion. It was sitting at 1.020 and I am shooting for 1.015. A thought of
mine was that I have basiclly trashed this batch because I racked it to soon off the yeast sediment. I guess my question is
have I messed this one up completly ? can I get myself out of this mess some how ? Should I add more yeast ? Thanks for any help, FB
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Dont trash!!!!!!!

Post by Fraoch »

I wouldnt panic if i were you, the chances are that your beer SG will eventually drop to somewhere around where you want it. When you rack off to secondary the process slows somewhat, depending on your yeast 2nd'y is at around 55 - 60f. Also some yeasts require constant rousing, Wyeast " ringwood" requires reoygenating as does the ESB and can be a pain to use if you havent got the time to mess about. If all else fails then you have yourself a full bodied malty beer with a nice residual sweetness. Sounds good to me!!
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Relax

Post by Monkey Man »

Relax, have a homebrew. If your gravity is at 1.020 and you were "shooting" for 1.015, then I woud venture a guess that your yeast is done. They are probably packing their bags and heading for Florida. Every batch will have some inconsistency. As a homebrewer it is very difficult to achieve the exact same results each time. I'm not sure how you determined that 1.015 to be your TG, but your beer is prbably pretty much done. Relax have a homebrew, remember we aren't splitting atoms.