Carbonation

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

hairotdog

Carbonation

Post by hairotdog »

Hello there everyone.
I am an extremely new brewer and have a question.
I just refridgerated my second batch(Old strong ale), after 14 days at room temp. I tried one after it has been cooled for a few days , and the carbonation isn't very strong. The beer isn't flat , but it isn't as bubbly as my first batch.
Is ther anything that i can do ?
Thank you for your help in this matter.
So much goin on ...so much goin on
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Sometimes bottle conditioning on a stronger beer takes a little longer than 2 weeks. Try leaving them out of the fridge for at least a good month to give it time to fully carbonate. When I bottled, I never seemed to get consistent results unless I just let it age for a month. What was your procedure for priming? Did you individually dose each bottle with sugar or did you bulk-prime and using a bottling bucket? Did you use the same process for your first batch? But if you're sharing with friends, just tell them that English style beers are lower in carbonation anyway, so problem solved :-)
hairotdog

Post by hairotdog »

I actually bulk-primed w/ corn sugar.

Can i take the beer out of the fridge , after it has been in there for a couple of days ? Will the temp change damage the beer ?

Thanks
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast Activity

Post by brewmeisterintng »

When you chill your homebrew and it isn't fully conditioned you are stalling out the yeast activity. If you take it back out of the fridg it should finish the job. It make take a little longer to start back up but you should be fine.
hairotdog

carbonation

Post by hairotdog »

Just want to thank you 2 for the feedback.
I tested one of the bottles and the carbonation is many x's better than it was B4.