Burton Stench revisited

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Burton Stench revisited

Post by Fraoch »

Remember that eggy smell?? Well it's gone, Although i'm very confused as to how i got it,I used Wyeast 1028, split the batch at secondary and got the sulphur smell in a brand new carboy. But as almost always its turned out fine so xmas will have the expected amount of cheer, Cheers everyone!!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

good deal

Post by Freon12 »

I was hoping it would be the yeast causing your smell. I have heard this before and the beer turned out very well. Lager yeast seems to have this more than ale(london). What was the fermentation tempreture? Should be 60-72f and it will have some diacetyl(butterscotch). I would like to link that smell to diacetyl.
How long did it take to go away?
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

ferment temps

Post by Fraoch »

The initial fermentation temp got too high as we had a sudden heat burst with the weather, this was only for the first 12 hrs though after that i brewed out at 70f and dropped at half way stage, and reduced the temp to 55f. The smell took 2 weeks to clear and i'm now lagering a bitter to extract every drop of yeast just to make sure. The other half of the batch was bottled 2 weeks back ready for xmas, I'll keg the rest in the new year. Thanks for your advice,
Gavin