Help/Question with Recipe

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Jollymon

Help/Question with Recipe

Post by Jollymon »

Looking for some help with the Quick Brown Fox Ale recipe on here. It's a quick brown ale recipe that I brewed up last night. As I looked at the recipe this morning I was trying to find out how much priming sugar to use with this when I bottle it. There is no such state procedure with this recipe. I was wondering since it's a "quick recipe", ready to drink in 2 weeks or less, if I do my usual and add priming sugar to the batch, or is there enough residual sugar left to carbonate the beer once it's bottled?
I'm thinking that if I use priming sugar, that I should use the usual 1/2 or 3/4 cup to the batch. Anybody have any insight on this? I could really use the help. It would be a bummer If I end up ruining the batch.
Thanks
Chris
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Priming Sugar

Post by brewmeisterintng »

You are correct on the amount of priming sugar to add to a five gallon batch. Just make sure that you have confirmed that the sugars in your wert during the fermentation process have all been consumed prior to bottling. This is accomplished by take gravity reading with a hydrometer. If the readings are within range and are consistent for 2-3 days, you are ready for bottling 1/2 to 3/4 cup priming sugar (corn sugar) depending on how much carbonation you are looking for.
-James-

PS If you don't let your beer ferment out and bottle it "green", plan for exploding bottles. Trust me... it's not pretty. :oops:
Jollymon

Post by Jollymon »

thanks for the info, I'll give it a test this Friday, and then Saturday. If things look good I'll bottle it on Sunday
Chris