Im an IDIOT!!! Help

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

mnichols

Im an IDIOT!!! Help

Post by mnichols »

Ok so reason number one of many why im not a pro brewer.....I tend to drink to much of my own product while doing what I love.

Here's the question: I forgot to add 2lbs of dark brown sugar in the boil of my latest batch.....its already in the primary and seems to be doing alright. Should I add the brown sugar after the primary is complete and let ferment in the secondary?

I assume at this point I wont get any of the flavor just more ABV right?

Any help is appreciated
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Either way will be fine

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I too had a recipe that called for brown sugar. In all the excitement of brewing my first 10 gallon batch, I forgot the brown sugar. My brother brewer who I was splitting the batch with is not fond of adding sugars to any beer and was pleased that we forgot. Because it is brown sugar you will lose some of the molasses/ carmel/ rummy flavor and possibly the cidery off flavor produced by fermenting cane sugar. Lastly your beer will be lower in alcohol that your recipe.
You could boil the brown sugar in a small quantity of water, cool it and add it to your fermenter or just wait until the next batch and try again.
I hope that you are using a hydrometer to get you OG and FG readings.
-James-