Stinky Pumpkin Ale

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

hipa

Stinky Pumpkin Ale

Post by hipa »

I just racked my pumpkin ale into the secondary after 7 days, it had large dots (must be pumpkin pieces) along the sides at the top. It also had a bit of an off aroma.

I have never brewed with pumpkin so I am not sure if the aroma is related to that or not.

The temperature in the basement went up a bit because of the furnace, but it is still under 70 degrees.

Thanks
Larry
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Pumpkin reekin'

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Pumpkin (or any squash for that matter) when used in brewing beer can kick off some odd aromas. Think back to what pumpkin smells like when heated by a candle at Halloween... sorta rank! I wouldn't worry too much, just let it go terminal. If you are going to force carbonate it, you have an advantage in that you can volatilize some of the pumpkin aromatics. If not, let it condition for at least 3 weeks and it should smooth out.
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
hipa

Re: Pumpkin reekin'

Post by hipa »

Mesa Maltworks wrote: If you are going to force carbonate it, you have an advantage in that you can volatilize some of the pumpkin aromatics. If not, let it condition for at least 3 weeks and it should smooth out.
Thanks. I feel a lot better now. I guess it won't be ready for halloween, but just in time for Thanksgiving.