Been in carboy for a while!!!

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Mackie

Been in carboy for a while!!!

Post by Mackie »

I was making a batch of beer and just moved the beer mix to the carboy. Something came up and i went away for a month. So now i am back and am wondering if the mix is ok? is it possible for me to bottle it now? There is a few specks of mildew floating on the top...is that bad? Should i throw the mix out? Please help!
Mackie
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Should be OK, but try it first

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Mackie,

Clean a racking tube, and extract some out and taste it, I think you should be OK. don't worry about the "mildew" it is probably hop seeds ...

You did not specify what you made so I am assuming an Ale, I have left ales in the carboy for 6-8 weeks, and lagers for 3 months and everything was good ... I'll bet if anything it is very smooth ... let us know what you made and how it came out ...

By the way, welcome to Beer Tools ... I hope that this is not your last post, we welcome newbies here ...

Regards,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
Mackie

Thanks Paul

Post by Mackie »

Thankyou so much. I was not sure if it was safe to taste. I will try it tomorrow. If it good then i'll bottle it. It seemed before I left it was going to be a real good batch. I am trying a new type. Usually I make canadian style ales but this batch is a New Zealand dry lager style. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again
Mackie