Russian Imperial

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Russian Imperial

Post by Freon12 »

Well, I just took the Russian out of the basement after 9 months and put it in the frige to carbonate for two more. Since I haven't brewed since this beer it am hoping nothing happened.

I wanted to know if this is long enough aging considering how heavey this beer is at 1.110 and 14%ABV.

Steve
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Stout Monster Concerns...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Steve;

Replies to your query:

"...put it in the frige to carbonate for two more"

At normal refrigeration temperatures, very little if any carbonation can occur.

"I wanted to know if this is long enough aging considering how heavey this beer is at 1.110 and 14%ABV."

Was that 9 months since brewing or 9 months in the keg/bottle while conditioning? If it was the first, I'd let it go an additional 4 months @ 65 - 70 F. If it actually has been aging in the bottle/keg that long, I'd give it 3 more months @ the same temp. The way I look at it is if the beer was terminal when racked and primed, the carbonation is already set. If it wasn't terminal, you may have a very effervescent Stout! Additional warm aging will most likely not change the carbonation level you have due to alcohol stress on the yeast. Therefore, the warm aging will accelerate the smoothing of the beer's flavor. Due to the alcohol content, there is little chance of anything bad happening to the brew.

And... I got your PM, but it was two days ago... I was already long gone and through 2 states before I was able to get it.

Now I'm Manager of Brewing Operations and Brewmaster for Titletown Brewing in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I've lost your phone #... e-mail your info and we'll talk.

craftbrewfreak@yahoo.com
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands