Carastan Malt Substitute?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BobbyK
Light Lager
Light Lager

Carastan Malt Substitute?

Post by BobbyK »

I have a recipe that calls for Carastan malt which I am not familiar with and my local grain provider can't get. I don't need a lot and I'd rather not buy grain on the internet. Since I don't even know what it is exactly, what would be a good substitute? It's supposed to be 34 l and is 4% of the grain bill.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try this

Post by jayhawk »

My HBS carries Carastan and uses it the same as one would use a light Crystal malt (ie 10 or 20 degrees Lovibond). I don't know what the exact substitution is, but recipes I create here use the Crystal in place of the Carastan, and everything comes out close or exceeding expectations.

Brew
Chris
timatn

Carastan = Good

Post by timatn »

I use Carastan 30/37 quite regularly and like it very much, it is different from American crystal malts in that it does have a more pronounced toffee and melanoidin character with a light toasty note. I put it in my amber, brown, and imperial amber ales. Pretty much any place that calls for Crystal 40.

To substitute for 1 lb. of Carastan: mix 8 oz. Crystal 20, 7 oz. Crystal 40 and 1 oz. Crystal 120.

My LHBS does carry it, but because of the distance between and my work hours, I often order it online. Generally from MoreBeer.com, but there are others, just Google it.

I've not used the lighter version yet, but have tasted it, and it doe have pleasant raw sugar flavor. Definitely European in origin. I plan on substituting it for Crystal 15 in my recipes when my stash runs out.