combining different extracts ?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

combining different extracts ?

Post by Bender »

When creating a recipe say 13C (oatmeal stout) kepping everything else constant is there a difference and or preference from using all dark extract (dme or liquid) as opposed to using a combination of dark and light other then it would change the final color? I am trying to add more character via the grain bill. I have used all dark in the past (with good results) but want to combine light with some dark getting most of my color through the addition of the grains. Again any feedback is much appreciated.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Best advice would be to use light extract and steep specialty grains for the color. Dark roast and crystal malts can be steeped. You'll have more control over the final product.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by brewmeisterintng »

When all grainers make a stout, they use the equivalent of light LME/ DME as the base and add specialty grains to impart the color and flavor. NB has a Dry Irish Stout that uses a pound of Roasted Barley and two pounds of Flaked Barley to add color and mouth feel. These, combined with specific hops and yeast, produce one awesome stout. Their recipes are posted and are worth taking a look. I have yet to find one unsatisfactory.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: combining different extracts ?

Post by wottaguy »

Bender...

Jawbox and brewmeisterintng have good solid points to their replies.

Northern Brewer makes some pretty awesome kits and they also publish their recipes on their site. I have 2 brew buddies that purchase their kits on a regular basis....and of course I have the chance to sample their finished product. They make a great kit.

There's nothing wrong with combining any liquid extracts as long as you have a good knowledge of their fermentabilty and what each type contributes to the final product.

To learn a lot more on extract brewing...I would have to recommend the book, Brewing Classic Styles authored by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. This book is geared for the extract brewer and contains a lot of good information about extract brewing, and includes recipies to go with each BJCP style.

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Wotta you have recommended one of my top three books I would recommend to new or any brewer.

How to Brew - John Palmer
Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels
Brewing Classic Styles - Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer

Did you see that northern brewer includes the recipies for their beers in .rec format. Just downloaded a couple and imported into BTP, Nice!
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Jaw....

I did see the REC files there and nabbed all of them the other night. They make a great base to start from with little or no tweaking.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common