Pumpkin - How to use

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Hamesbest

Pumpkin - How to use

Post by Hamesbest »

I am thinking of making a pumpkin cider this fall and have two related questions:
1- In brewing trems what is the difference between using sugar pumpkins and "jack-o-lantern" pumpkins?
2- To roast or not: I plan on using the pumpkin in the secondary of the cider and was wondering if anyone has "dry pumpkined" a beer. If so could you relate the difference between using roasting the pumpkin vs using it raw.
Thanks!
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

carving pumpkins (bitter and not designed for consumption-I think) are not the same as sweet pumpkins used for beer, pie... By roasting the sweet pumpkin you will get more caramelization as well as breaking it down. I have never dry pumpkined and would be cautious of bacteria. Good luck
Cheers
Bender
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

the easiest thing to use is canned pumpkin. It has already been gelatinized. I've use pie pumpkins, I usually cut into chunks and roast skin side down, then scoop the flesh and pulp with a potato masher before adding to my mash (beer).
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)