new zealand hops

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

johnnynothumb
Light Lager
Light Lager

new zealand hops

Post by johnnynothumb »

is any one using or ever used green bullet or stickelbract hops what is the consensus good bad or in deferent
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by BurninBrewer »

I have used Green Bullet and am currently using a NZ Cascade for dry hopping a Mac & Jacks clone.
The bullet was used for bittering but can also be used for aroma if you like, worked very well and I liked the outcome wasn't too bitter considering the high AA and did have a slight fruityness to it but nothing too significant.

The cascade according to what I have read about it is everything the american cascade is and more, definitely smelled more citrus when I opened the package and the hop quality looked very good .

I dont know if it is available by you but Sierra Nevada makes a fresh hop ale strictly with New Zealand hops that are no older than a week off the vine and it is one of my favorite beers by far. It is coming to the end of its short seasonal cycle. read more on it here: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html

Overall I'd say most of the NZ strains are very good and help make more hops available here when they would normally be out of season and low on stock.