unknown hop type

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

unknown hop type

Post by bfabre »

I have a friend who has some hops growing in his front yard. His mother had planted it there years ago because she thought it was nice looking. He asked me if I caould brew a batch with them. But, I do not know what kind they are. Does anyone know how to test them for a classification?
"B"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ID Hops

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Good luck. Others have recommended comparing the cones and leaves to a reference book. This should get you in the ball park. However, after transplanting my hop garden this year and moving the excess dirt, I have volunteer hops sprouting everywhere. Even though I know what four varieties I have, it's still hard to match a young plant.
You can spend the big bucks and send a sample out to be lab tested.
Me? I would just add them as finish hops at first to see if I could tell by the taste.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I have noticed that hops with high AAs have larger open cones. I have Nugget and Chinook.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

unknown hop type

Post by bfabre »

I would just add them as finish hops at first to see if I could tell by the taste
Oooo!!! good thought. Do you think 1 oz. should do it?
You can spend the big bucks and send a sample out to be lab tested.
What would be a round number just for reference?
"B"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops ID/ Profile

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I think an ounce in the last 15 would be just fine. Just ensure that you dry them or you will get the grassy notes that sometimes hide the true hop profile. I am no expert but have been growing hops for a few years now. You could try posting pictures to the group listed below. They may be some help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops/
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

unknown hop type

Post by bfabre »

Thanks James
"B"
miles

Unknown Hop Type

Post by miles »

The http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops/ does have a lot of good information about hops, which you should check out. Another thing you can try to help identify the type of hop is to take a mature cone, and cut it in half lengthwise. You can tell if the cone is ripe if the leaves are papery to the touch and the lupin in the center of the cone is bright yellow. After cutting it open, give it a good sniff and you should be able to get an idea of the aroma of the hop without having to use it in a brew first.

Good luck!
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Unknown Hop Type

Post by bfabre »

miles,
Thanks tha is the best information yet. I still plan on getting one of the hop growing books. Does anyone have a suggestion.
"B"