Smoked beer ingredient

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Smoked beer ingredient

Post by wwarrior152 »

I brewed a smoked beer. Unfortunatly, my smoked malt was lacking in enough smoke to add any flavor or aroma. what do you all think about adding liquid smoke in the secondary stage?
TPA

I've heard of it...

Post by TPA »

Don't know how much this would sway you but I've heard of a Mr. Beer kit that uses Liquid Smoke. It's called the Hickory Switch Porter and some folks on a message board I use brewed it and said it was pretty good as far as the smoky flavor.
"May those who love us love us, and those who do not, may God turn their hearts. But if he will not turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so that we may know them by their limping."- Traditional Irish Blessing
coder
Light Lager
Light Lager

Liquid smoke? no-no

Post by coder »

I have never used it, but I've heard that liquid smoke is really nasty. Listen to Jamil:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
alms66

Post by alms66 »

I don't know about putting liquid smoke in a beer, but I can tell you in 12 lbs. of malt for a pale ale, having 2 lbs. of that be smoked malt should be enough for most people. It was too much for me, and because of that experience I'll likely never drink another smoked pale ale again. However, I mixed those smoked pale ales with a porter and they worked quite nicely.

I think the smoked malts work better with the roasted malts rather than pale malts, is all I'm saying.