Amber Stout

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Amber Stout

Post by cozrulz »

I'm in the process of formulating a recipe for an amber stout. I would like it to be more malty and bitter, but amber in color. Right now it is pretty close to a sweet stout or robust porter.

Here is a quick rundown: (extract recipe)

Amber Malt Extract Syrup - 6 lbs.
Amber Dry Malt - 1 lb.
German CaraRed - 0.9 lbs.
Roasted Barley - 0.1 lbs.

Target - 1 oz. (60 min)
E. Kent Goldings 1 oz. (5 min)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
slothrob

Irish Red?

Post by slothrob »

Looks a lot like an Irish Red.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

Yeah.

I really want it to taste a lot like a stout, but it is difficult to work around the color because of the roasted barley needed for a stout. A lighter extract might help, maybe something like Munich then I could use more roasted barley.

Looks like I might have to drink a few Reds and Stouts to get a better idea of how it needs to turn out. 8)
slothrob

amber stout

Post by slothrob »

I think you'll find that the roast barley is the major component of both the color and flavor of a stout. I doubt you can make it taste like a stout without it being black like a stout.

An Irish Red has a subtle roasted flavor, though, and can be a very nice beer.

My next beer is going to be an experiment where I make a Red by starting with a Stout recipe (Maris Otter, Flaked Barley or Oats, and Roasted Barley) and just reduce the roasted barley down to 14 SRM to make a Red. In other words, the ONLY difference will be the amount of RB. I think it could be a nice beer.... we'll see, but I doubt it will taste like a Stout.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm kinda figuring it might not be exactly a stout. I'm going to have to do a little more research and look at different recipe combos.