Gruit Ale Recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

pcutti19
Light Lager
Light Lager

Gruit Ale Recipe

Post by pcutti19 »

Anyone tinkered with this style before? I have been reading about it and thinkng of giving it a whirl. For flavor sake i may sneak in some hops or may wet hop it in the seconday. Maybe split a batch into traditional w/out hops and a version with.

Where does one get wet hops?

Anyone have a recipe that they have used?
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Wet hops

Post by billvelek »

Wet hops are freshly picked hops that have not yet been dried. I don't know of any sources which sell them, so I'd imagine that the only source is someone who grows their own.

I grew my own for the first time this year, and I made some 'Harvest Beer' from wet hops, but honestly didn't didn't find the results to be very remarkable. Either the wet hopping is not particularly different from other hopping techniques, or my hops had gotten too dry while still on the bine. I will try again next year.

If you or anyone else is interested in growing your own hops -- a good way to help offset rising prices in grain and hops -- a good resource for info is my 'Grow-Hops' Yahoo Group -- www.tinyurl.com/3au2uv

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Gruit

Post by slothrob »

I find wet hop beers more of a curiosity than anything else. I have a couple every year and I'm set.

I've never made a Gruit, But I've hadthis one from the Cambridge Brewery and it was excellent. Very interesting and complex without being alien to a beer lover. Their Heather Ale is another delicious "alternatively bitterred" ale.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
pcutti19
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Gruit

Post by pcutti19 »

Has anyone experimented with ganja oil in either the boil or primary/secondary fermentors?

it is part of the hop family after all