Basic beer recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

waiter23

Basic beer recipe

Post by waiter23 »

I just brewed my first batch of beer, I am new to homebrewing, and will be bottling in about 7 days( used a secondary fermenter). I kind of followed the basic recipe but tweaked it a little. This is the recipe:

1 lb crytal malt (crushed) Starting sp grav 1.045
2 cans muttons amber malt extract
1 oz hallertau pellets 45 min
1/2 0z hallertau pellets 15 min
1/2 oz hallertau pellets 5 min

1/2 oz fuggles pellets dry hopped Secondary sp grav 1.018

My question is- What type/style of beer is this considered? And any comments on how the finished beer may turn out?
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

A lot of factors will determine how the finished beer will turn out; what type of yeast was used, fermentation temperature, duration and intensity of the boil, sanitation, water chemistry, how fresh the hops were, etc., etc., etc.

Based on ingredients alone, probably a mildly hoppy amber ale...nothing over the top, which is probably a good idea if you're just starting out.

When you've finally bottled it, and let it carbonate, let us know what you think.

Todd
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Basic beer recipe

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

waiter23 wrote:...And any comments on how the finished beer may turn out?
Based on the gravity measurements you provided I would expect this beer to be on the sweet side and have an ABV of 3.5%. That's because I don't think fermentation had actually finished. If your OG was 1.045 and FG was 1.018 then it only attenuated around 60%. Most beer yeasts attenuate in the 75% neighborhood. That would have put the final gravity around 1.011 and the ABV at about 4.4%. But don't worry about this, it's your first beer. Things will happen and mistakes will be made. That's how we learn. Just take pride in it as beer that you made and enjoy it. Congrats on your first brew, and welcome to the brotherhood. :wink:
waiter23

Thanks

Post by waiter23 »

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate them. One note: I have not bottled yet, so final sp gravity reading has not been taken, I am hoping for a reading of around 1.012.
Thanks again.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Basic beer recipe

Post by billvelek »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Based on the gravity measurements you provided ... snip ... I don't think fermentation had actually finished. ... snip
Either that, or possibly the canned extract (I'm not familiar with it) is loaded with unfermentables, or perhaps the brewing and/or gravity readings were not done correctly. In any event, seven mores days in secondary should ensure that fermentation is complete, so waiter23 -- who I warmly welcome to our group and this great craft -- should check the gravity again. Waiter23, I presume that you steeped the crystal separately and did not boil it with your extract ... correct? I'm not trying to insult you, but you are a new brewer. Also, did the recipe itself provide any expected gravity readings?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768