oregon purees

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

garym

oregon purees

Post by garym »

hey all,
im very new here,(in fact this is my first post!) and in need of a bit of advice.
i want to make a blackberry wheat, using puree.
im a little confused over just how much and add in the fermenter.
also would it be better in the primary or secondary.
any help would be greatly appreciated!
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

I have not used fruit in beer myself, but I understand people often recommend adding it to the secondary to preserve as much fruit character as possible. You probably want to mash (assuming you do all-grain) at a higher temperature (153-158F) to provide more dextrins in the beer. These unfermentable sugars will maintain some body. Fruits tend to dry out a beer considerably, so anything to keep some residual sweetness for balance is a good idea. You could also use some wheat malt or wheat dme if you do extract.

I am not certain about how much to put in, but I would probably try one can on the first go. It ultimately depends on the fruit you use and how much fruit flavor you want in the beer. I know brewers that have used 20# of fresh fruit in 5-gallon batches of lambic...
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

i just did my first fruit beer. i added 4.75 lbs fruit in the secondary. make sure you leave lots of headspace with fruit, even in the secondary! i had to clean the walls once.

your beer sounds great, good luck!