Oktoberfest Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

FrankieBoy007
Light Lager
Light Lager

Oktoberfest Yeast

Post by FrankieBoy007 »

Didn't get a response on this one before, someone help me out!

I am ready to begin another batch of brew, an Oktoberfest, and really don't want to go through the wait of lagering. Is there an ale yeast you would recommend so I could have it ready to bottle in a few weeks?? The recipe calls for 3.5 lbs German Vienna, 1 lb Belgian Munich, .25 lbs German Dark Crystal Malt, .5 lbs German Caramunich1, 4 lbs liquid light extract, .1 lbs dark candi sugar, 1.25 oz Hallertau Hersbruck hops (60 min), .5 oz Fuggles (15 min), and .5 oz Fuggles (2 min).

Any suggestions?

p.s. If you see I need to make any changes to this recipe, feel free!!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

To make a 'lager like' beer with ale yeast, use a neutral yeast such as US56 (dry) or Wyeast 1056.
dmccrackin

Post by dmccrackin »

I was recommended to use Wyeast 1007, German Ale. It ferments at temperatures of 55 to 68 F, and is supposed to produce lager like charactaristics, especially if fermented on the low end of that range. I will open the first bottle in a week or two, so we shall see.

Doug
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

1007 is probably the most lager-like of the ale yeasts I've tried. US-56 is a good alternative though.

If you think an Alt is lager-like, then you'll think this is lager-like with one of these yeasts, because your recipe is similar to an ALt recipe and both of these yeasts make a convincing Alt.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP