Advice on re-circulating run-off with a pump.

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

cyrilleb

alcohol and memory...

Post by cyrilleb »

Only joking (lol).

Thank you for the model number. Grundfos e-mailed me and proposed the UP20-15N. stainless body, etc.; max head: 4ft; 2.6 GPM @ 3ft; 5.2 GPM @ 2ft; 7.4GPM @ 1ft.
My main concern though is that the performances are much lower than your pump or the likes of the little giant. Do you think this pump is too weak?
I sent another request with your model number as a reference, they must have a European (220V) equivalent. But I don
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It is always hard to get enough head ;)!....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

That is a bit too low of a flow. Here's why: Using a 15 gallon keg setup as an example, they are about 3.5' tall. So, a valve at the base would drop down to a valve ahead of the pump, + a 90 deg. elbow (adds resistance), then a short nipple, another 90 deg. elbow (more resistance), then a rise up to the pump inlet of about 8", then about 4.5' feet to the top of the keg and then 2 more 90's and a valve (more resistance). This estimated head totals around 5.5'. That pump won't lift the load in this example as it's maximum head is 4'! The other one, however, is rated 5.1 GPM @ 5', so you'd probably get 4.5 GPM @ that head. They do make another step up, but it is around $200 USD and would be a bit of overkill for this use.

Another consideration is that you can build a system that will recirculate runoff, pump sparge water and pump runoff to the kettle using only 1 pump. The change over is acomplished by opening and closing valves. The other pump would stop pumping wort into the kettle when it was less than half full due to the back pressure of the liquid. The pump I recommend will fill it at full throttle.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
cyrilleb

in conclusion

Post by cyrilleb »

Hi,

As far as my pump goes, I bought a Shurflo 2095-473-143. 24VDC, 10.6LPM max, 8LPM @ 2 bar