Advice on re-circulating run-off with a pump.

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Advice on re-circulating run-off with a pump.

Post by jeff »

I have an 8 gallon mash/lauter tun made from a SS pot. It is fitted with a false bottom and a valve. You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.beertools.com/html/articles.php?view=112

I would like to use a pump for re-circulating the run-off until it runs clear. My capacity is small so I don't need anything real heavy duty; just something that can take the heat, and that is food grade. Does anyone know of a device that would work well for this application?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

try these

Post by dartedplus »

March pumps, MDXT-3 for about $110
Little Giant pumps 3-MDX...$87.92 Look at WW Grainger, their part # is 2P579

I'm also looking for a pump right now to make a stand alone RIMS. If you find something cheaper, let me know.

Ed
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks, 7.8 GPM?

Post by jeff »

Can these pumps be slowed down? Seems that 7.8 GPM would be fast, is it?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

valve

Post by dartedplus »

you can control it by putting a ball valve on the OUTLET side of the pump, therby restricting the flow. you cant restrict it from the inlet side as then the pump would cavitate and not operate properly. Grainger does carry a pump for the same price with a slightly lower GPM, part #2P580. I didnt find the viton o rings at lowes, is that where you got them or somewhere else???
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

just recirculating??

Post by dartedplus »

are you just going to recirc the wort or are you also going to use a heating loop??

ed
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Recirculate

Post by jeff »

I had only planned to recirculate until I get clear run-off, then begin sparging. I use a 1 quart measuring cup to do it right now, a little cumbersome.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Viton O-rings

Post by jeff »

Viton O-rings at Charleston Rubber and Gasket here in South Carolina. I have seen them online as well, but in large quantities (50 or so). Since I found them locally I didn't look around on the web to find smaller quantities; I'm sure they can be found somewhere online though.

By the way, the #206 O-ring has an ID of 1/2"; it should fit better than the #207. I can't remember which I used.
Last edited by jeff on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ME TOO...

Post by dartedplus »

wow, you and I have the same kind of system right now
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I hate to ask, but...

Post by dartedplus »

I wasnt able to find anyone locally who had the viton o rings, would you be able to pick one up for me and drop it in the mail??? I would need something with ID 11/16" If not I will keep looking
Thanks,

Ed
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Try this

Post by jeff »

The number for Charleston Rubber & Gasket is (843) 747-5738. They might ship orders; they seemed like they would do that kind of thing, but I'm not sure. It is a little bit of a hike for me to get over there; that's why I bought a bunch of replacements when I was there so I wouldn't have to return. The size you mentioned is bigger than the ones I bought, otherwise I would send you one.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

i got some

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks Jeff, I got some from 3B, they aren't viton, but can go to 400 deg. Get your pump yet??

Ed
cyrilleb

European brewers, where do you get your pump?

Post by cyrilleb »

Hi,

I am hopping to put a small home brewery together, maybe some kind of RIMS. I live in Cork, Ireland at present. I can get the Little Giant pump 3-MDX shipped to me for
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Cheap pumps + high temps = Short Life!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Back in the early 90's I build an all grain system with 3 modified sankeys and fixed piping. I went the typical route with the mentioned "Little Giant" which is temperature rated, but not high duty rated (length of runtime under given conditions, read the specs that come with the pump). The impeller is teflon and the body is plastic resin. They may be inexpensive ($95~110) but will fail sooner than a better choice for a little more investment. Also... these pumps are rated for fluids only... if you want to vorlauf or RIMS, this is not your pump!

Here is the pump I eventually used (1 year later) and it still is working great after 12 years: Grundfos UF-15P. It is designed for hot water baseboard applications as an inline circulator, so it therefore has a low flow rate that works perfectly in brew systems (husk/grain shearing is a BIG quality issue!). If you are one of the adherents to the theories regarding hot side aeration, this pump will make your day as well. The motor is wound so that it won't be damaged by using a speed controller, which cheap pumps cannot withstand for long (or at all). These pumps are so small that they can be mounted directly in your pipe train (no base mount required) which makes it very easy to fit into brew towers or horizontals like mine.
I just got one of these for my assistant brewer at Grainger for $135. They are constructed of solid stainless steel as is the impeller. You will need to add an adapter kit to change the threading to NPT, they are brass and ~$18. Even though these are also rated for fluid, their volute design and rigid impeller has no problem handling grain slugs during recirculation.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
cyrilleb

Post by cyrilleb »

Eric,

Thank you for you help.
I have noticed that Little Giant, or even the March May pump have max temperatures of 150oF, but are the only person I know of who doesn
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sorry, I shouldn't try to quote model #s by memeory!...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Here is the CORRECT pump:

Pump,Circulator,1/25hp
Circulator Pump, Power Rating 1/25 HP, Pump Body Material Stainless Steel, Voltage Rating 115 Volts, Phase Single, Full Load Current 0.74 Amp, Thermal Protection Auto, Maximum Temperature 230 Degrees Fahrenheit, Face 6 Inches, Inlet Threaded, Outlet Threaded, Speed 2865 RPM, Flow @ 2 Feet of Head 9 GPM, Flow @ 3 Feet of Head 7.8 GPM, Flow @ 4 Feet of Head 6.5 GPM, Flow @ 5 Feet of Head 5.1 GPM, Length 5 1/16 Inches

Grainger Item: 2P311
Price (ea) : $141.60
Manufacturer: GRUNDFOS
Mfg. Model#: UP15-18-SU 115V

This pump is not magnetic drive, but has mechanical shaft seals. The construction is of an inert rigid plastic. Note the temperature rating.... this is only one of the reasons that it is worth spending a bit more. The flow rate of these pumps is perfect fo RIMS/Vorlaf and respond very well to speed controllers.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands