cornelius fermentor conversion

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

cornelius fermentor conversion

Post by bredmakr »

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an air lock that can replace a pressure relief valve on a cornelius keg so the keg can be used as a fermentor? If so where can I find one? Are there any reasons why a cornelius keg should not be used as a fermenting vessel?
BillW

Cornies as fermenters

Post by BillW »

Cornelius kegs commonly come in 3, 5, and 10 gallon sizes. The 5 gallon size used by Pepsi and Coke is most commonly found in use by homebrewers.
The 5 gallon corny is too small to use as a fermenter for a full 5 gallon batch. There would be no "head space" for the foam created during fermentation, so the foam and a substantial amount of beer will "blow out". I suppose you could use it to ferment a 3 gallon batch.
If you must use a corny as a fermenter, and you can't find a stopper small enough to fit in the opening after removing one of the pressure fittings, then put a length of hose into the hole. It should be big enough to take up the entire hole. Run the other end of this into a container of water. This will serve as an airlock. Note that this is DANGEROUS, because the hose can plug up with foam and waste, and this can cause dangerous pressure to build up inside the keg.
In short, I do NOT recommend using corny kegs as fermenters. I have heard of them being used successfully as lagering tanks.
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

cornelius fermentor

Post by xbrewer »

When I use a cornelius keg as a fermentor, I simply connect a length of tubing to a co2 "in" connector and snap onto the keg putting the other end of the tubing in a container of water.