Minimum Vessel Size

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Williac

Minimum Vessel Size

Post by Williac »

Hi,

I know this topic has been beaten already on some other forums but (as with everything else) there seem to be different opinions. We're trying to set up a 1bbl brewery (2 full size kegs per brew) and pretty much all we're lacking now are the brewing vessels themselves. We thought we had them but when we lopped the top off our potential ones we found the welding work was atrocious and unfit for beer making. Considering we're in a developing country, this limits our options somewhat.

One thing we've found a plentiful supply of is affordable 60cmx60cm stainless steel pots which by my calculation should be about 170 liters of volume. Is this enough for brewing 1bbl batches? I apologise if this seems repetitive but I need to confirm because the next option up from that is 3x the price! I notice that this setup uses 45 gallon vessels for a 1 bbl brew:

http://www.barleynvine.com/arubyg.html#.Vt_mR-aMkQs

Thanks in advance!
slothrob

Re: Minimum Vessel Size

Post by slothrob »

I can't speak from experience at the 1 barrel size, but that's about a 45 gallon pot, which would be the 50% headroom for a 30 gallon/1 barrel batch that works well at the 5-6 gallon size. Hopefully, someone with actual experience at this scale will have something to add.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Williac

Re: Minimum Vessel Size

Post by Williac »

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. Would be good to get a couple of opinions on this one, I can't say how much it would help us if we can actually use these pots.