Ale pail fermenting

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

donshizzles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ale pail fermenting

Post by donshizzles »

Anyone have any experience fermenting in an ale pail....as far as keeping a constant 70 degrees? Other than using the room temperature, what other methods can be used with an ale pale? My heat goes down to 63 when I'm at work so I need a better method.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

A couple of methods

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Apply a heat belt. I have seen them advertised in beer catalogs but don't have any experience with them.
Place your Ale Pail in a larger vessel of water that will maintain the temperature longer. You could rig an aquarium heater to it.
Insolated box with a small light bulb and maybe a small fan to circulate the heat.
What ever idea you try, keep SAFETY in mind.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

The heat belts that brewmeister suggested work fairly well. My house is always around 60 degrees also, but when I come home at night and turn on the fireplace, it warms up to around 75. I didn't like that much fluctuation in my beer temps, so I bought the heat belt.

Since then, I have monitored my ales without using the belt and they seem to only fluctuate by about 2-3 degrees each day even when the house is doing 10-15 degrees. I always forget how much slower liquid cools down and heats up compared to air.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

70°F?

Post by slothrob »

What are you making?

I ferment ales almost exclusively at 60-64°F. There's very little that needs 70°F, but some british yeasts might benefit from 65-68°F.

Putting the pail into a larger bucket filled part way with water will increase the thermal mass and further reduce the temperature fluctuation. Like Southerncomfort, however, while my house temperature varies from 60-70°F during the day, the beer usually only varies between 62-64°F.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP