HLT conversion

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

donshizzles
Light Lager
Light Lager

HLT conversion

Post by donshizzles »

I have a 32Q boil pot that I want to place a ball valve and thermometer in. If I use a false bottom, whats the recommendation for attaching the elbow to the ball spigot? Can you run a small section of food grade tubing or would a section of copper tubing work better?
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I use braided hose. Food grade of course in my mash tun.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

HTL setup

Post by shaggyt »

Jawbox,

I have a couple questions on your HLT setup:

1. How did you modify the braided hose to drain? I assume you punctured it a lot, with what though?

2. Is this a SS braided hose? Something I'd find at the local Home Depot plumbing area?

3. What diameter and length?

4. Drilling - any tips on doing this? Best practice type stuff?

I'm seriously considering this as an option for in the near future but I hesitate from time to time 'cause I don't want to destroy my kettle. Any advice/direction is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Shaggy,

My response was to dons question regarding attaching his false bottom to the ball valve in a mash tun.

From the elbow/hose barb on the false bottom I attach a short length of braided hose, then I use a another hose barb to connect to my bulkhead fitting.

I'm not actually using a braided hose with holes in it, if that's what you're thinking.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)