Using old CO2 lines?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

McGuireV10
Light Lager
Light Lager

Using old CO2 lines?

Post by McGuireV10 »

The big 5-keg fridge I bought has a built-in CO2 distribution system including multiple nozzles and gauges. It's a pretty nice setup. So far I've only been running one keg out of it, and ultimately I'll only run two at a time tapped, so I've been using the old setup from my one-keg fridge.

Now that I want to run two, I want to use the built-in stuff, but I wondered if I should be concerned about the old lines. Are CO2 lines every likely to have mold or other crud grow inside them? Can they be cleaned?

I know new line is cheap but since this is a built-in system, the lines penetrate the side of the cabinet (the CO2 bottle is external) so I'm not sure I can easily replace the lines. I guess I could cut and splice...
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I'm not aware of any organisms that can live in a pure CO2 environment. As long as you don't have any leaks and the tubing is in good mechanical condition, I'd just leave them alone.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I agree with him, but if you want to clean them. Fill a corny keg with one step/ or some other cleanser and connect the tubing you want to clean to the output and run some cleaners through it and then flush it with some water or sanitizer solution.If you think they might be dirty let them sit a while under pressure. I do this with my taps every once in a while.