to frig or not to frig

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

to frig or not to frig

Post by Bender »

I have never put my CO2 tank in the kegerator (its usually filled w/2-3 corney kegs. However, I have heard of a few friends that put the CO2 tank in their kegerators. Is there a reason for this? Are there advantages to doing such or am I just fine with the tank outside?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Here's the reason

Post by brewmeisterintng »

People don't want to drill an extra hole in their refrig chancing a busted freon line or they want to save space outside the refrig. I have a 20 pounder outside the refrig. Don't forget that things contract when cold so you will loose by chilling the CO2. If at all possible leave you tank at room temp outside the chilling unit.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

There was a thread on the AHA Tech Talk about a year and a half ago where someone said that having the regulator in the fridge seemed to shorten its life. They said that every two to three years they had to rebuild the regulator, but since taking it out of the fridge a rebuild hasn't been needed in over ten years. A couple of other guys reported similar experiences. Now I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea to have your regulator in the fridge. I know a lot of guys do it and don't seem to have any problems. At least it doesn't seem to be something you hear a lot about. Just passing along some information.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)