Roller Mill

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Roller Mill

Post by cyto »

I was thinking of making my own roller mill. I can get solid aluminum for the rollers and it would be much easier for me to work with because of my limited tool shop. I worked in a machine shop many years ago, so I should be able to build it.

I know aluminum is not as hard as steel but I think that it still should be hard enough to crush my malt.

There is no way my wife will let me use the coins to buy a crankandstien (or similar) mill.

Any experiences or opinions?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Roller Mill

Post by brewmeisterintng »

[quote="cyto"]There is no way my wife will let me use the coins to buy a crankandstien (or similar) mill.

I did have some tongue and cheek commits about pants but I will keep it semi-serious. Homebrewing is designed around a lot of homemade equipment. I have heard of people making maple rollers with success so go for it and let us know if it worked for you. There are quite a few sites that provide plans for building your own mill. I personally use a Philmill with a single roller. It has not failed me yet. By the way, bought it second hand for $25. I share it with a brother brewer but it has paid for itself many times over. We are averaging 80% efficiency.