CO2 Tank Question

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

CO2 Tank Question

Post by Legman »

I can get a 5# CO2 tank locally for $62, filled. A new tank will cost me more, plus the cost of having it filled.

What would be the difference in buying a new CO2 tank as opposed to just picking up a tank at the local welding supply?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

The new tank will nice an shiney, and after five years you'll need to have it hydro tested before it can be filled again. With an exchange program (which is what I assume the welding shop is) the tank may be a bit banged up or even painted, but you won't ever have to worry about the hydro test. So I guess it all depends on how important ascetics is to you. If you decide on a new tank you may be able to just exchange it in five years rather than have it tested. If it were me I think I would go with the exchange program.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

CO2 Tank

Post by Legman »

That's what I was kinda thinking too. But I've read a few posts about the exchange tanks not being cleaned on the inside. Is that really ever an issue? I've also read about using a CO2 filter. Is that really needed too?
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

Legman
Most co2 tank that are used in exchanges come from closed systems and are filled by very expensive pump equipment so they don't usually get trash in them. Also co2 in the bottle is part gas and part liquid so anything in the bottle will not usually rise when the liquid turns to gas and rises up in the bottle. But a filter for extra protection is not a bad thing.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

CO2 Tank

Post by Legman »

Yeah, that's what I'm going with. I can get a 5# tank at a local welding supply cheaper than buying a new tank. And I'll never have to pay to have the tank tested.