Looking for really good thermometer for home brewing

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Tyler Durden

Looking for really good thermometer for home brewing

Post by Tyler Durden »

My dad has been brewing beer for about two and half years now and we've had alot of problems with the themometers we've bought to measure the temperature in the brew pot. We had one that would beep when it reached the temperature we where shooting for, but after awhile it started giving false temperature readings. Can someone give me some good suggestions on some really good theremometers I could buy him for Christmas. Also if anyone has any good websites that sales brew pots, kegs or conicles cheaper than anyone else id be intrested in that to. Christmas is coming and I would like to buy any homebrew equipment at the cheapest price possible.
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Good thermometer

Post by KBrau »

I also had one of those electronic thermometers and found the same problem after a few brewing sessions. I think the problem with them is that they are designed for meat and get fouled up by all the moisture when placed in a mash or brew kettle. Anyway my recommendation would be for a dial thermometer that you can clip to the side of a pot for measuring water/wort that you are heating and a floating thermometer for use in a mash tun. You could use the dial thermometer for both, but I like that I can leave my floating thermometer in the mash so when I open my mash tun I can quickly check the temp and close it right back up again. The advantage of dial thermometers over floating glass thermometers is that they won't break and leave broken glass in your wort. here is an example of one:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... rodID=5009

Rich
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

good temp readings

Post by bfabre »

I have just the traditional dial thermometer. I puchased it from my local brew store and never had a problem with it. :) I do not understand why you would be receiving incorrect readings. I try to stick to the acronym "KISS" (keep it simple stupid) because it seems every time I try to advance myself in technology it fails and I have to return to what works best. I use dial my thermometer to check the temp for three different readings #1 steeping, #2 boiling, #3 sparging. The boiling temp is what I use to determine the consistancy of its accuracy. When the dial reaches 212 degrees the water should be boiling. Since 212 is a constant and the dial reads this I am good. It also helps me with boil over. :cry: No one likes that part it wastes too much time in clean up and spillage. It only happened to me once now I watch the dial.
Keep up the good work!!!
"B"