brew pot for newbie

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

kensig

brew pot for newbie

Post by kensig »

I am just getting started i have an alum 6 gal pot would like to get away from wifes new stove and stay inside. was looking on ebay at turkey fryer and saw a 28 qt electric turkey fryer with drain spigot. has anyone tried these or have any pros and cons for me. it has a submersible heating elem that is therm controlled with timer. any input would be great. also any ideas on sources for 6.5 gal plastic bucket or larger :?:
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

turkey fryer

Post by warthog »

i think that i use the same one that you are talking about. i have no problems with it. one piece of advice is to take the new pot (or clean it like new), and stick it into the oven at low temp for a few hours. this will build up an oxide layer on the inside of the pot, and help protect both the pot and your wort.

as for a fermenting bucket, visit your lhbs, i can pretty much guarantee that they have buckets of buckets that are perfect for fermenting :). there are also a number of really good on line sources of brew buckets. the key is that the bucket must be food grade. otherwise i would be concerned about plastisizers leaching into my beer.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
kensig

fryer

Post by kensig »

Thanks got a regular starter kit today going to use aluminum pot fro first batch on monday or tuesday am going to get fryer thanks for the input :D