How to fill Sanke keg

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Sudsman1

How to fill Sanke keg

Post by Sudsman1 »

I'm sure someone can answer this. I want to be able to keg my homebrew in a Sanke keg. How do I get the beer into the keg and how do I force carbonate it? Thanks
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Sudsman,

Using a sankey keg for homebrewing is not a great idea. The first problem is cleaning and sanitizing the keg, and unless you have the equipment to do that, you're dead in the water.

A typical keg washer/filler for a microbrewery runs from many thousands to tens of thousand of dollars. This would be an example:
http://www.iddeas.com/356.html

I'd strongly suggest sticking with corny kegs for homebrewing.

Todd
Sudsman1

Post by Sudsman1 »

Great Info. That is just what I was needing. Thanks for the reply and the great link.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brew Pots

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Thats what Sanke kegs are good for. I have both a 7.5 and a 15 and change gallon kegs that I have cut the top out of to make into brew pots. They really work great. Cean up is a breeze with a green pad.
Corny kegs are the way to go. The initial cost kept me away for a few years but now I an kicking myself for not kegging sooner. My wife really likes the fact the the sink is not lined with empty bottle waiting to be refilled. I like the fact that I can package 5 gallons in less than 30 minutes where as bottles too me 4 hours.
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Just make sure that you've actually purchased the kegs before cutting the tops off. Paying the deposit on a keg of beer doesn't come close to the actual cost of the keg, and be deposit is never passed up to the brewer if the keg never comes back.

The big brewers can absorb the costs, but lost kegs cost microbrewers a fortune.

Todd
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Legal Eagle

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I would hope that brewers are acquiring ALL their brewing equipment through legal channels. It has been said time and time again that the deposit doesn't equal the replacement cost for kegs. Both of my kegs were given to me and were in route to the dump as my neighbor didn't know where they came from. He related that stores will not take back a keg that they did not take a deposit on. So, he was at a loss on what to do with them. I gladly took them off his hands.
McGuireV10
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by McGuireV10 »

New guy here just catching up on old posts (and interested in kegging in particular) but when I moved recently I started using a new shop for my monthly Sam Adams keg purchase, and the new shop took my extra kegs and paid me a deposit refund. I was surprised but he indicated the distributor covered it no matter where it came from.