wooden cask

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

lov2cook4u

wooden cask

Post by lov2cook4u »

So have any of you guys tried to condition in a wooden cask? I just got a nice Hungarian 2 gal. wooden cask. It is waxed lined so it should not get the wood "Infected". I don't have all the right parts to make it a really slick operation yet. I need a Keystone that would fit something so small. and I don't have any spiles for the top.. I don't know where to get either?? so you do please let me know. Anyway, I pushed forward and filled it up with a Kolsh that has been waiting to be bottled for a few months. I tied down the bung (wooden) so it wouldn't blow out. and where the wooden spicket goes I put in a rubber stopper with a bolt and nut through it, so as i tighten the bolt the rubber expands. I hope that stops the plug from blowing out as it carbonates. I have this dream to invite a few friends over and tap this great little oak keg. I reminds me when I was in Germany drinking Kolsh. I hope it works. Any ideas to improve what I have done is always welcomed.... Scott
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wax Lined Barrels

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Hi!

Wax lined barrels are for appearance, not wood conditioning. Since they are wax lined, the tannins from the wood will not leach into the beer so the beer will not possess a wood aged character. If you got one designed for beer (some are intended for vinegar or pickles) this barrel was designed to be used for service appearance. After being emptied, they would be returned to the brewer who removes the old wax and re-coats with new wax and re-fills it.

I note you assumed that bacterial problems are eliminated by the coating. This is not true. Since it is coated with wax, you cannot clean it with adequately hot solutions intended for barrel cleansing. This is why brewers who package this way remove the wax first. They then wash the interior hot, re-wax and then sanitize cold before filling.

It will look cool, but don't expect the benefits of true wood conditioning.
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
lov2cook4u

Post by lov2cook4u »

I hear ya Mesa, the ends of this little cask are exposed to natural oak wood. I know as the barrel ages the flavoring will go down hill. And as far as cask getting infected because I can't get behind the wax? I kinda knew that too when I got into this, but I hoped for the best. If it gets infected it may just become a cool home bar nicknack. It was worth risk of trying for me. Sometimes I get lucky and get away with things that others say can't be done. :) I can't wait to try at least this first beer that is in there though... Thanks for thoughs and comments.. I learn everyday and the more I learn the more I can scheme how to get around the problem.... take care Scott.....